Caitríona (also Caitriona) Perry (5 September 1979) is the White House correspondent for Raidió Teilifís Éireann (Radio [and] Television of Ireland), a.k.a. RTÉ or RTÉ News (also RTE), Ireland’s public service broadcaster.
Early life, education and start of career
Caitríona grew up in Knocklyon in Dublin. By the age of 13, she had written two novels, whose setting was the Famine. At 14, she expressed an interest in joining RTÉ in a letter she wrote to RTÉ newscaster Bryan Dobson, who kept the letter and showed it to her when she realised her dream and joined RTÉ in 2007, after having worked for Today FM and Newstalk. She studied journalism at Dublin City University, graduating in 2002 with her undergraduate degree. In 2010, she was awarded her masters in international relations from the same school, of which she is a distinguished alumna. She speaks Irish, English, German, French, Spanish and Italian.
Time in the US
Caitríona went from covering a story to being the story on 27 June 2017. She said that they usually would shoot from outside the window of the White House, but on this particular day they "were invited inside to witness the president's [Donald Trump's] call to the [newly elected] Taoiseach", Leo Varadkar. When they walked in, Donald motioned Caitríona to "come closer", which she did. He asked where she was from and she responded: "I'm from RTÉ News, the Taoiseach will know me. Caitríona Perry ... " Donald then said to Leo: "She has a nice smile on her face, so I bet she treats you well." On Twitter later on, Caitríona called it a "bizarre moment". On Instagram, she wrote: "One of the more bizarre moments of my time as #rte Washington Correspondent...being called over by President #Trump as he is in the middle of speaking to Taoiseach Leo Varadkar." According to "Inside Edition", however, she also said she found the encounter "hilarious".
Fitness programme and diet
Caitríona does "swimming and cycling, Pilates, yoga and a bit of weight training." Her best marathon is 4 hrs 6 mins. She likes porridge with berries and linseed, fish, and an occasional cup of tea or coffee with chocolate when she's splurging. Terry's Chocolate Orange was her favourite chocolate in 2013 and she likes Lyons tea.
Caitríona hates negativity and thinks "People who are negative tend to drag everyone down with them." She feels she probably over-thinks things and "could do with being a bit more relaxed." She says that world peace would cheer up her day.
Caitríona is "between 5'2'' and 5'3'' depending on the hairstyle."
People she would like to have dinner with
People Caitríona would like to have dinner with are:
- Bill Clinton
- Steven Spielberg
- Mary Robinson
- Daniel Day Lewis
- (29 June 2017). "Caitríona Perry talks Trump & missing home". rte.ie. 29 June 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "The Shape I'm In: Caitriona Perry". irishexaminer.com. 15 December 2013. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Caitriona Perry (5 September 2016). "Same to you! ... ". twitter.com. Archived at archive.org. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Barney Henderson (28 June 2017). "Did Donald Trump flirt with Irish reporter Caitriona Perry during diplomatic phone call?" telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Raidió Teilifís Éireann". wikipedia.org. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Irish reporter Caitríona Perry's 'bizarre moment' with Trump - BBC News". YouTube. BBC News. Published 28 June 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Harriet Alexander (28 June 2017). "RTE reporter Caitriona Perry tells of her surprise at 'creepy' Donald Trump moment in White House". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Jessica McBride (27 July 2017). "Caitriona Perry: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". heavy.com. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Laura Butler (04/03/2016). "RTE’s Caitriona Perry: I work a 21-hour day and I’m a one-woman newsroom". evoke.ie. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- "Trump tells a female reporter she has a 'nice smile' while on the phone to the Irish PM". YouTube. Business Insider UK. Published 28 June 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Caitriona Perry (27 June 2017). "Video of the bizarre moment ... " twitter.com. Archived version. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
- Barney Henderson, James Rothwell (28 June 2017). "Did Donald Trump flirt with Irish reporter Caitriona Perry during diplomatic phone call?". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "President Trump Taking Heat After Singling Out Reporter in Oval Office". 0:40. YouTube. "Inside Edition". Published 28 June 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.